I definitely don't usually post about random things, but I thought this was fitting for a downloadable tech post. In fact, it inspired it. Jessica at www.doodlemetravel.com (check her out!) nominated me for a Liebster Award. No, not a Lobster award, auto-correct! The Liebster Award is a perpetual chain of nominations, where established bloggers encourage and support the new ones by promoting them through this award.
This is what Jessica so kindly wrote about me - "Shannon is an adventurous soul. She loves to try new things and inspires others to do the same. She has a passionate way of describing her experiences that will make you want to follow along with her.” This really meant a lot to me because after all of this blogging and trying to make changes in myself for the better, someone who is a total stranger, is seeing me the way I view myself. An adventurous soul who passionately loves to try new things and inspire others along the way. Anyway, she's asked me to answer a few questions and then I have the chance to nominate a few fellow bloggers.
- Is there one sentimental item that you bring with you wherever you travel? If so, what is it and why does it mean so much to you?
I usually pack the same things with me when I travel. You know, my “go-to” travel essentials, but I wouldn’t say that one is super sentimental for me. I, do, always have a photo of my family on me, which nowadays I guess is not completely necessary with cell phones.
- Explain how you felt when you went on your “first major trip” abroad.
My first major trip abroad was when I was going to study abroad at Magdalen College at Oxford University in Oxford, England the summer before my senior year of high school. Man, that was a mouthful. I was flying to England with only one of my closest childhood friends, so I think our parents were more worried than we were since we had each other. Had I been flying alone, this probably would have been a different story. I was just stoked to be traveling to a study in a new country and for all of the adventures I knew I was in for.
- What is one cultural difference you have encountered abroad and what did it teach you?
I’ve definitely encountered a ton of cultural differences each place I’ve traveled, positive and negative. There have been complete language barriers, polite or impolite local people or even hand signals that can mean something different than you may think it means. The people of Japan, for example, are some of the most hospitable I’ve ever met. They form organized lines to ride up the escalator and even to wait for the subway. It eliminates so much chaos and animosity and was a great positive cultural difference to experience.
- What location is next on your bucket list and why?
I, literally, want to go everywhere, so this question is pretty difficult to answer. I want to go to Iceland, Ireland, Australia - the list goes on and on, but my next trip will be this December to Thailand!
So here it goes, now it's my turn to nominate. I'm nominating some girls that I feel look at the world the same as I do, full of adventure and beauty. I love following their along with their life and travels and I think you will too:
- The Pretty Relaxed - Every time I think about Madison over @theprettyrelaxed, I think of her big, infectious smile. I just want to hang out with her because of her fun posts. You will too.
- Stories and Suitcases - If you don't fall in love with Andrea's beautiful Instagram feed @storiesandsuitcases, you're crazy. When you head to her blog, you will literally want to jump on a plane to join her on her adventures from the fantastically vibrant photos she posts.
- Seven Day Weekender - Lindsey over @sevendayweekender will show you a whole new perspective on the world through her eyes. She has crazy good insights about all of the places she visits that you should definitely check out.
- Jacqui Travels - Jacqui @jacqui.travels is the kind and inspiring type. She frequently posts inspirational quotes with her Instagram posts and the honesty that she has in her blog posts is super refreshing.
Nominees, here are your questions!
- What inspired you to start your blog?
- If you could pick one, where has been your favorite travel destination and why?
- Choose one travel style: getting lost or being on a tour?
- Do you have a typical souvenir that you get from all of your travels?
- Top 3 bucket list travel destinations?
Should you all choose to accept this nomination is up to you! I, honestly, debated it a bit, because this isn't usually the type of thing I normally post, but what the hey, right? I, also, was just incredibly humbled and moved by the words that Jessica wrote about me. So, thank you Jessica! I was looking for a way to work on my hand lettering and your words were just the inspiration I needed. Being nominated, and then paying it forward to recognize other bloggers that I love is just the kind of positive vibes the world could use right about now. Here are the rules of the Liebster Award. I'm not following to a "t", but instead seeing these as rough guidelines:
- Post the award on your blog so everybody knows how awesome you are.
- Publicly thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog.
- Answer their questions about yourself, feel free to add photos!
- Nominate 5 – 10 people with less than 1000 followers, inform them via social media.
- Write your own set of questions for your nominees.
If you read all the way down here, thank you! Download my "adventurous soul" design in iPhone or Desktop format below. It already looks great on my phone lock screen ;)
Yours Truly // Shannon